Thursday, January 18, 2018

Congestive Heart Failure - Stages and Images




source



Phase 1: Vascular Phase:

  • This is the first phase of congestive heart failure.
  • It represents pulmonary venous hypertension.
  • Cephalization: Vessels in upper chest is more prominent as a manifestation of pulmonary venous hypertension.
  • Note the blood vessels are more prominent in the upper lung fields compared to the lung base,  just the opposite of normal.
  • In supine film the vessels are same size in upper and lower lung fields.
  • You see increased (>1) artery to bronchus ratio at hilar level.



Hilar Fullness With Haziness:

  • Enlarged pulmonary veins with perivascular fluid collection leads to full hazy hilum and vessels.





Phase 2: Interstitial Phase:

  • Kerley lines are 2-3 cm long horizontal lines in the base of lungs close to chest wall.
  • They are the result of interstitial edema and increased lymphatic drainage.
  • This is the second phase of congestive heart failure.



Phase 3: Alveolar Phase:

  • This x-ray shows normal size heart with bilateral diffuse soft fluffy alveolar infiltrates coalescing with each other in a butterfly distribution typical of pulmonary edema.
  • The heart can be normal and develop failure, as is in this case, due to acute MI.
  • Pulmonary edema is the primary manifestation of heart failure when the left ventricle acutely fails.
  • In chronic heart failure is where you see vascular, interstitial, alveolar phases and pleural effusions.



Pleural Effusions:

This x-ray shows:
  • Cardiomegaly
  • Basal congestion: This is gravity dependent accumulation of fluid in the lungs and alveoli are filled with fluid.
  • Fuzzy full hilum: Represents enlarged pulmonary veins and fluid around them. 
  • Bilateral pleural effusions. Due to increased hydrostatic pressures.


How do you distinguish Pulmonary edema from ARDS in CXR?
  • In ARDS the heart is normal in size and there are no pleural effusions.
  • Clinical setting and the wedge pressure are necessary in some cases.
  • ARDS is always preceded by a major event like trauma, surgery, bleeding etc. If there is no preceding major event do not consider ARDS.

1 comment:

Stephenie Brown said...

I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HEPATITIS B
  I’m Stephanie Brown, I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 4 years ago, I lived in pain with the knowledge that I wasn't going to ever be well again. I have used several antiviral medications, but this could not fight the virus of me rather I got side effects of fever, muscle and joint pain. After  spending so much money on antiviral drugs but I never get better. I made research on the internet for herbal medicine. AS I was determined to get my lifestyle back and to be able to do things I am restricted from doing, I saw a lady’s post on how Herbal Dr. JAMES cured her of HIV with his herbal mix medicine. I contacted the same Doctor through his email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com....we spoke, I told him all that I have been going through, and he told me not to worry that everything will be better again, so he prepared his herbal mix medicine and sent it to me through DHL courier company and told me the usage, after 21 days of completing the herbal medicine, I was totally free from Hepatitis B, I went to see a doctor for a blood test, After taking a sample of my blood for the test the result came out negative, I just can’t deny that I’m the happiest woman on earth this very moment, I’m so happy and thanks to Herbal Doctor JAMES,He also told me he cures  diseases   such as Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, Autism. Bipolar disorder,  Shingles, Melasma, Underactive thyroid, Melanoma, Cancer, Weak Erection, Wart Remover, HPV, Herpes, Fibromyalgia, HIV, Hepatitis b,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy, Fibroid, Diabetes,COPD, Back pain, Nephrotic syndrome,Infertility.Cardiovascular diseases.lung diseases,Thyroid disorders ,PCOS,Contact him on his email and get rid of your diseases, he is a good  man  Email....Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com