Monday, January 18, 2016

Blood pressure & hemodynamics

Overview of Circulation





Arterial Pressure

constant capillary flow keeps gas exchange constant and also prevents "sludging" of red cells in capillaries.  Blood is like ketchup - hard to start flow when flow is stopped.

Mean arterial pressure (MAP) is calculated as 2/3 diastolic + 1/3 systolic. 120/90 MAP = 60 + 40 = 100 mmHg.  120/80 MAP = 53 + 40 = 93 mmHg.  The reason MAP is not the average of systolic and diastolic is due to the fact that, at rest, 2/3 of the time is spent in diastole and 1/3 is spent in systole.


pulse pressure = systolic - diastolic  changes with stroke volume & aortic compliance


Control of diastolic pressure
  1. heart rate  - determines "run off" time during diastole
  2. total peripheral resistance (TPR) - determines slope of "run off"






MEMORY TOOL - PQR  (ABC rule)

P = QR   (use algebra to rearrange)

very useful in understanding hypertension and hypotension (shock)

R = P/Q   for whole system

R = 8nl/pi r4         for single tube   2^4 = 16

where n is viscosity; l is length; and r is radius.  Viscosity is greater with more red blood cells.  More red cells (higher Hct) = more O2 delivery but higher resistance.

There is an optimum Hct (or hemoglobin) that is close to normal Hct.  this can go up and down with blood volume



Resistance is in series; e.g. right heart and left heart or parallel; e.g., organs of body AND  capillary beds.
adding a resistance in parallel ALWAYS lowers total resistance.
e.g.,  1/R = 1/2 +1/2 +1/2 = 3/2  so R = 2/3 = .66

added R

1/R = 1/2 +1/2 +1/2 + 1/2 = 4/2  so R = 2/4 = .5

Flow = velocity x cross-sectional area

cm3/min = cm/min x cm2/min  

student question: does density change in blood to change Reynold's No.?  N = pdv/n

ans. =  no
note that in air, changes in density can be important  (why deep divers use helium),  Helium also used clinically in patients with severe airway obstruction.


Regulation of Blood Pressure  P = QR


R
slow = hormonal
fast = neural

Q
slow = hormonal
fast = neural

Cardiac Cycle


tricuspid valve   then    bicuspidvalve   memory tool:  "try it before you buy it"



Wiggers Diagram with EKG


Right heart pressures LOW due to lower resistance of lung circulation.

Importance of low right atrial pressure  = avoids edema in organs and peripheral circulation.  Sign of right heart failure = peripheral edema (e.g., swollen ankles)






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other
sites? I have a blog based upon on the same information you discuss and would love to
have you share some stories/information. I know my visitors
would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested,
feel free to send me an e mail.

Larysa Bohdana said...

I was diagnosed with COPD with 55-60% lung capacity. and Hiv, My doctor just said all the crying , stomping your feet will not change it so just accept it and basically patted me on the back and sent me home to die. I was devastated and was afraid to do anything. I stopped riding my bike, I was afraid to do anything that would cause any exertion. It consumed my thoughts with every breath and the fear of what to expect was almost more than I could deal with. So I couldn't get myself all time I decided to find a herbal cure online and I came across Doctor Itua on how he cure several people suffering from Hiv, and Herpes I gave him a call on this Number +2348149277967 also chat on whatsapp he gave me all the details about the cure i paid him for the medicine after 5 working days i receive my herbal medicine ,I use it for two weeks that is how I get Cured and today I'm living healthy and  fine I give him thanks also promise him to testify about his work,He Can also cure the following diseases..Copd,Herpes,Alzheimer's disease,carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's ,Epilepsy,Cancer,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis,diabetes,Coeliac disease,Infertility, Asthma.Contact...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com..Whatsapp Number...+2348149277976